Skip to main content

Good news, Bad news kind of day!

We're still smiling!

July 4 (PM)

We decided to go for a boat ride to see if it would make a difference in the quantity of water coming from the leaks. We didn't go that far, only to Nobbles Bay, and without the dinghy.  While we were there we took advantage of the clear water to jump in and do a bit of snorkeling and generally try to cool off from this heat!

On our way back, we stopped at Rideau Ferry Harbor public docks, not that far from the marina, to go and pick up a few things at the little convenience store. I can say that everything we bought made it back to the boat dry this time 🙂. We still decided to go for a little dinghy ride after supper, what can I say? It's fun to drive around in the dinghy... who knew?

Papi brought me a flower ♡

July 5

We had one of the mechanics on board first thing this morning, and this time he came equipped with a camera to check and see behind the engines.  We think they have identified the problem! At first, because of the age of the boat, they warned us that it could be the transom seals (not doing their job because of possible rot!), but they were also considering other possibilities too. This mornings exercise was pretty educational for Papi (I decided to step off the boat and give the guys some room). Papi got to pick the mechanics brain as they checked a bit of everything.

The problem seems to be coming from the "steering shaft seal". To get to it, the engines need to come out again, bad news. However, the cracked seal is at it's worst already and the leaks won't get any worst, good news.  But, having the dinghy and engine in back of the boat (and company last Saturday) changed the flotation line just enough to worsen the leak, to counter that, they suggest we add weight in front (We were going to buy a spare chain and rode for our other anchor and store it under the berth - this just confirms where we'll be storing them.), good news.

The reason we had the mechanic so early today is that they received all the ordered parts already (good news). However, the one part (or parts) that they could not find stock of, is of course you guessed it, the steering shaft seals (bad news). At this moment, we are waiting to see what the senior mechanic recommends.  He wasn't in today, but will be in tomorrow. We are going start by asking for a quote for the work - as I don't think this is related to the work they have already done (but I honestly don't know). In talking today, they seemed to say, that if we were just going to have a "normal" boating season, we should wait until the fall and get it done then. And to manage the water in the boat as we've been doing to date - use a shop vac or rely on the bilge pumps. We're really not sure what to make of that... so we are going to wait and talk to Vian tomorrow.     

A couple of days ago, I washed & cleaned the dinghy (not that big of a job 😊) and today, it was Papi's turn to wash the boat - the big boat!. He used the dinghy to wash the side that was not to the dock. We've decided that the best way (and safest for me 😇) to do this, is by tying off the dinghy to the boat, (and adjust as we move along the side) otherwise, he was going to pull me into the water as he was brushing and pushing against the boat.  He was having way too much fun!

Can you have too much fun washing the boat? I think not!

All in all, we had a pretty good day! We are together and we are on the boat! And this is something (the leaks) that can be fixed - it's a matter of finding the best solution of how and when to do it. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll have a plan!

Tina & Papi

"In life, it's not where you go, it's who you travel with" 

– Charles Schultz